Tuesday 20 March 2012

Girly Girl Challenge #5 - Gotta Love Chick Flicks!

Hello Everyone!
Are we all ready for another instalment of the Girly Girl Challenge?  I can't believe it's more than halfway done now. :( It's going too fast!  Hey Lindsey? How about adding a second round?

So for today, let's check our handy dandy chart...

Day 5 : Gotta Love Chick Flicks! - We just CAN'T resist!  Wear a mani inspired by your favourite chick flick.

Alrighty, so I must admit...   I'm actually not much of a fan of chick flicks in general, with one exception.  I love cheesy dance movies!  I'm a total sucker for those big-talent-and-a-dream type of movies.  Now for me, I think the King of dance movies is Dirty Dancing. 

A scene that always stuck out for me was when Baby, in an attempt to make conversation with Johnny, told him she carried a watermelon.  It always struck me as amusing and truthful.  Sometimes we just don't sound as cool as we'd like to.

In honour of Baby, who can still catch her man, no matter how awkward she is, I give you my, "I carried a watermelon?" manicure.






So, I have seen several people do variations on this manicure and I don't know where it originated.  I googled for pics and found one I liked to used as inspiration which I found here.  However, she was only using it as her inspiration too and doesn't cite where it came from. 

Unfortunately this turned out to be a bit of a fail for me.  I was doing so well.  The base colour was on.  I'd freehanded the green tips and despite the extremeness of their colour, the line was smooth and even.  I made the little black seeds and they actually managed to look like seeds!  Then, I went to do the little white highlights on the seeds and my hand got the jitters.  What were meant to be delicate little highlights turned into big white blobs.  And it kept happening!  Oh well.  Sometimes we learn more from the fails than the wins, right?

Anyways, this was Orly - Retro Red from the Plastix collection for the base colour.  The green tip is China Glaze - Watermelon Rind (Appropriate!) and acrylic paint for the black, white and green highlights.

I'll be checking out what my fellow challengers did when I get home from work, but you should check them out right now! ;)

'Til next time,
Amanda

Challenge Creator: Lindsey of Neverland Nail Blog
Ashley of Follow The Yellow Polish Road
Stephanie of A Little Polish
Kelly of Devilish Polish
Jodi of Captivating Claws
Danielle of Polish. Glitter. Rock & Roll!
Elly of Polishable
Olivia of Unprofessional Nails
Kate of This Charming Kate
Bethany of A Plethora of Nails
Lizzy of The Do It Yourself Lady
Eugenia of Talon-ted
Johanna of Neues vom Kellerkind
Ashley of Smashley Sparkles
Sarah of See Sarah Swatch
Emily of The Lacquerologist
Jess of LuvMyLacquer
Tressa of O' Natur Nail
CR of Color Me Silly
Amanda of Berry Polished
Robin, Erin, and Anna of Polished Cousins
Bonny of Over Stuffed
Taylor of REJOICE!
Jess of Nearly Natural Nails

20 comments:

  1. Dirty dancing is my favorite too! Love your watermelon manicure. very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any movie that has to do with dancing :) You did a great job on this mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, why are we such suckers for dancing?

      Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. This is so awesome! Would make a great summer mani :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would! On a scorching summer day. Of course then I'd end up trying to eat my nails for some refreshment!

      Delete
  4. You are totally right about Dirty Dancing being the king of dance movies (and I also love all the cheesy dance movies). I think your watermelons turned out really great, and I like them done from this angle. And we sure do learn from the fails don't we, lol...
    ~Amanda of berrypolished.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great name! LOL

      Yup, I love this movie. I'm sure I've seen it a bazillion times. Thanks, they were going so well and then I screwed up a few things but I will get better.

      Ah yes, the fails! (I feel like I should toast with a bevvie)

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love this!!! I love Dirty Dancing and your "I carried a watermelon" nails are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I really liked the idea. It was such a memorable scene to me. :)

      Delete
  6. I love everything about this, especially the name and inspiration! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. :)

      Delete
  7. Darling, I don't see how this is a fail. Looks good.. exactly like watermelon.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I read and try to respond to all comments. I really appreciate your feedback. If you need to contact me for any other reason, my email can be found under the 'Contact Me' tab in the link bar under the header.